It is of course a busy time of year and we wanted to give you some simple tips for keeping your skin glowing for all the festivities!
Feast your skin on these “12 tips of Holiday Glowing Skin”
- Baby it’s cold outside and your skin likely feels dry because of it. To keep your skin hydrated, calm and smooth, always apply a good moisturizer immediately after showering or cleansing. Try Vitamin D3 Anti-Oxidant Lotion for the body to boost hydration and vitamin D levels in the skin so that it can function normally to keep your protected. For the face, I recommend Resveratrol Rapid Reversal Peptide Cream to smooth fine lines and boost collagen production.
- Slay dead skin cells with a smoothing polish such as Microdermabrasion Exfoliating Scrub. Exfoliation is the key to treating every skin condition and concern including Acne, Hyperpigmentation, Eczema and Psoriasis. Even the most sensitive skin types such as Rosacea will benefit by gently removing the buildup of dead skin cells.
- It’s a great time of year to refresh your vanity. Out with the old, and in with the new!! When someone asks what they can get you for Christmas, ask for some quality skin care products! Or better yet, a nice gift certificate to visit your favorite spa or medical office to have a consultation with your skin care professional so that he or she can help you get just the right products for your skin. Always consult with a professional before starting a new routine for the new year.
- Stuff the stockings with a great skin care mask for home use. The benefits of home care masks are plentiful!! They have concentrated amounts of highly beneficial ingredients to treat dry skin, stressed-out skin, and those bothersome little worry lines. I fully recommend Prescriber’s Choice Hydr-02 Mask for hydration and stress. It helps by oxygenating the skin – something we all need! Also, to combat pesky little signs of aging, try the Overnight Stem Cell3 Youth Recovery Mask with three powerful botanical stem cells to keep you looking your best for those holiday parties!
- Speaking of parties, let’s talk about amazing quick fixes for a grand entrance! Age Expression Eliminator literally eliminates expression lines such as crow’s feet and frown lines for a temporary smoothing effect that banishes lines and puffiness. Also, keep Hydra Recovery Spray or CoQ10 Antioxidant Nourishing Toner in your purse for a quick spritz to refresh makeup, hydrate, and make your skin glow!
- If you are like most of us, you may also be considering getting a touchup for the holidays. Here are a few pointers for you to consider. Remember the face is packed full of veins, therefore bruising is quite common. To minimize the chances and/or severity of bruising, stop taking medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen 3-5 days prior to receiving injections, unless they are medically necessary of course. Also, try to time your service around the festivities, as it is best NOT to consume alcohol for a day or two prior to the injectable service. You may also pre-treat the area with Vitamin Rich Bruise Cream w/Arnica which contains Vitamin K to strengthen the capillaries. It is further excellent to use for a few days after your service to minimize any redness and bruising post-treatment. Lastly, and most importantly, always go to a skilled provider for this service.
- If you are picky with your selfies and photos with friends and family, I suggest first a stick-on cell phone mirror to check your look, and a clip-on cell phone selfie light – ingenious! But secondly, hydration!! Fine lines and wrinkles are much more apparent in dehydrated skin. You will immediately look younger when your skin is well hydrated. The key ingredient to achieve optimal hydration levels in the skin is Hyaluronic Acid, a natural moisturizing factor (NMF) already present in the skin cells. Boost your HA levels with Prescriber’s Choice 100% Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Try it and get your glow on this holiday season.
- Since we are on the topic of hydration and natural moisturizing factors, the ingredient “ceramides” is a must-have ingredient in cold winter weather. Your skin’s barrier function will be immediately improved with a little love from hyaluronic acid and ceramides. An excellent way to get your ceramides is with our Ceramide 3 Lipid Replenisher. If you think your skin is “sensitive”, please try using these two key products / ingredients. You may find that you are not as sensitive as you thought. Rudolph should have a red nose, but not you!
- We could not live with ourselves if we didn’t mention sun protection (SPF). Use it every day! And yes, you still need it in the winter and even if you are not going to be in the sun for extended periods. Today’s sunscreens like our Dynamic Broad Spectrum SPF 55 not only provide sun protection, but also contain another key ingredient called antioxidants. Anti-oxidants protect your cellular DNA and stop damage from harmful, unstable free-radical molecules. Antioxidants help prevent breakdown in your vital extra-cellular matrix (ECM) components in the skin. Put simply, that means helps prevent fine lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, etc. To boost your antioxidant protection, apply Mega CBE & Ferulic Super Serum immediately before applying your SPF. One more thing, remember to apply sunscreen to your hands also!
- Now that we have covered protection, hydration and antioxidants, let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Yes, you need to remove your makeup before you go to bed. The nighttime, when you are getting important rest, is when your skin goes to work regenerating and repairing from the stresses of the day. It is very important to use a good cleanser appropriate for your skin type and conditions. Consult with a professional to choose the right cleanser(s) for your skin. Sometimes it may vary and it’s totally appropriate that you may have more than one cleanser. Sure, you can leave on a little eyeliner and lip gloss, but thoroughly cleanse your skin and apply your amazing skin care products before you sleep. Hint, you will be more likely to use your products if you remove your makeup. If you are confused about what to apply first, follow this simple rule of thumb. Apply skincare in order of the weight/size of the molecules. Water-based serums go on first, followed by gels, lotions and creams. If you are using a medication such as a Tretinoin or anything else from your Dermatologist, typically those medications should be applied before anything else.
- I know we are all tired and it’s easy to forget to remove your makeup, but makeup remover wipes are not the solution. They are great to remove eye makeup and majority of your bases and powders, but your skin still needs to be cleansed thoroughly! Most wipes contain chemicals that can cause sensitivities like dermatitis and they leave a film on your face. So, use your wipes if you like to, then cleanse with your cleanser for 1-2 minutes. Afterwards, use a good toner that will further ensure all makeup, dirt and oil is removed. Now your skin is thoroughly prepped to receive all those good ingredients in your skin care products.
- Lastly, please visit your skin care provider on a regular basis. It is the combination of in-office services combined with good home care that gets the best results. And please don’t be afraid of peels. Chemical skin peels are amazing and appropriate all year long. There is nothing better for beautiful glowing skin! For further information on peels, please refer to our blog.